The name is cast prominently into many of the iron columns that form the magnificent framework of the former Lower Campfield Market Hall.
10 October 1816
Edward Taylor Bellhouse was part of a dynasty of Manchester builders and engineers. His father, David Bellhouse Junior, was the contractor responsible for constructing our 1830 Warehouse, a remarkable feat that his team managed to accomplish in less than five months.
In 1842, father and son established their company ET Bellhouse & Co. at the Eagle Foundry on Whitworth Street, Manchester. Business was brisk and ET Bellhouse soon made a name for himself. In 1847, he was responsible for supplying nine cast iron bridges to the Manchester South Junction & Altrincham Railway.
The company grew into an international business, becoming recognised as the world’s foremost supplier of prefabricated iron buildings. These were much needed in America, where the Californian gold rush led to a huge demand for temporary accommodation and warehouses. The company also had contracts in South America and Australia, making it a global success story.
Bellhouse was also kept busy closer to home. In 1857, Manchester held the magnificent Art Treasures exhibition. Amongst the many attractions was a huge cast iron building that Bellhouse constructed for one of the exhibitors in just 13 days.
Despite his prolific output, only two of Bellhouse’s iron buildings survive. These are the Upper and Lower Campfield Market Halls, right here in Castlefield, Manchester, built between 1877 and 1882. So, next time you’re taking a stroll down Liverpool Road, look out for these two landmark listed buildings and don’t forget to find the Bellhouse name that is written all over them.